Skip to main content

Some Thoughts on the Effect of Trump

I think this is pretty straightforward, as these are the typical agenda items to conservatives, items that are likely to change under Trump, considering Republican control of Congress, and now that some sensible things that would have been done by Democrats would be usurped, like deficit and infrastructure spending:

  1. Reduced regulation and oversight of finance, health care
  2. Reduced oversight of the business environment and monopoly control
  3. Reduced tax collection and oversight
  4. Increased spending for defense
  5. Reduced social welfare spending
  6. Reduced oversight and intervention in bias-related areas
  7. Pullback from climate agreements and initiatives

My general feeling is that the Republican regime will be good for business in the short-term, but bad for people in both the short and long term:

  • Stock market exuberance, but increased risk of market crashes and bubbles
  • Deficits, with corresponding cuts to social welfare to compensate
  • Increase in inflation, which can have positive effects on the economy
  • Higher costs for consumers, increases to inequality
  • Increased corporate control of media messages toward Republican sentiment
  • Increased discrimination, hate crime incidents
  • Increased mortality among African-Americans, Hispanics and women
  • Not just increased pollution, which will contribute to mortality and disease, but general savaging the environment
  • Increased likelihood of international incidents, instigating conflicts with Iran, the Middle East, and Latin America

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Simple Guesses...

Before creating this site, I had searched for a site that I had used that allowed individuals to predict the likelihood of numerous events, and would provide a 'wisdom of crowds' calculations. When I first signed up, and put in predictions on the likelihood for (1) proof of God and (2) the US attacking Korea, both of which I place at .02 and .10, respectively. No great feat to get these correct though although the Korean estimate might change if Kim-Jong Il falls; I've read that the US and China are making plans to rush in and take over. A pressing concern for myself and the much of the US population is the likelihood of a recession. With so much negativity in the business world, subprime fiascos, potential monoline failures, the war in Iraq, increasing consumer defaults/bankruptcies, and a reduction in consumer spending portends a recession. I don't know whether there is much of an upside, other than increased exports because of the weak US dollar. I'd give th...

Foregone Conclusion

I haven't recently written here about the recession, but it seems like there is an seeming consensus that there will be, or currently is, a recession, and that it will long-lasting. No predictions on my part...

In Amazon Fight, Progressives Showed What They Want: A New Economic Agenda

In the end, the failure of this deal lays at the feet of Cuomo and De Blasio. It's a deal that should have never been made or should have been done in a way that wasn't filled with one-sided giveaways. As Amy Liu, vice president and director of the Metropolitan Policy Program at the Brookings Institution, describes, Virginia worked with local constituents to address concerns, negotiated a deal that required jobs from Amazon in exchange for incentives, and put more money into developing an education-focused job pipeline, rather than a simple giveaway to Amazon. Many people are going to blame a vocal minority for the failure when the problem was the deal itself. It could have been done to satisfy the critics, or at least mollify them, while still delivering for New York. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/business/amazon-economy-taxes.html?comments#permid=30664506