Skip to main content

Stock Market Rout Has Trump Fixated on Fed Chair Powell - Responses


#1

Trump's, and the GOP's, mismanagement of the economy is leading to this outcome. The first mistake Trump made was voiding the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), leaving Asia to China and cutting out the US. Later, they undercut the ACA. They then created both short-term illusory profits increases along with huge government deficits. More recently, the trade war Trump set off has had numerous negative repercussions, and as expected, it harms the economy and businesses. Now, Trump blames Powell for the mistakes. There was a plan to avoid overheating the economy and to try and bring it down to reasonable levels, but Trump and the Republicans voided any sane responses to the economy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/23/us/politics/fed-chairman-trump-jerome-powell.html?comments#permid=29874639

#2

Many Republicans believed Trump's success in business would translate to good for the country, ignoring that his successes were really strings of failures. Only after multiple bankruptcies did Trump learn to offload risk to others, but then again, when in need he does dirty deals with the corrupt. Other than saving himself and blaming everyone else, did any of us really expect him to be different for the country? The Koch and the Adelson's get what they want, as will the Trump & Co., and so will some of the businesses favored by the imposition of tariffs, but for the most part, America will be weaker and worse for his ignorance and volatility.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/23/us/politics/fed-chairman-trump-jerome-powell.html?comments#permid=29874704

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Simple Guesses...

Before creating this site, I had searched for a site that I had used that allowed individuals to predict the likelihood of numerous events, and would provide a 'wisdom of crowds' calculations. When I first signed up, and put in predictions on the likelihood for (1) proof of God and (2) the US attacking Korea, both of which I place at .02 and .10, respectively. No great feat to get these correct though although the Korean estimate might change if Kim-Jong Il falls; I've read that the US and China are making plans to rush in and take over. A pressing concern for myself and the much of the US population is the likelihood of a recession. With so much negativity in the business world, subprime fiascos, potential monoline failures, the war in Iraq, increasing consumer defaults/bankruptcies, and a reduction in consumer spending portends a recession. I don't know whether there is much of an upside, other than increased exports because of the weak US dollar. I'd give th...

Foregone Conclusion

I haven't recently written here about the recession, but it seems like there is an seeming consensus that there will be, or currently is, a recession, and that it will long-lasting. No predictions on my part...

Why Amazon Is Caught in an Unexpected Brawl in New York

#1 I was surprised that less affluent groups and minorities were for Amazon coming to NYC, although I was aware that locals in my area would be in favor. I live in Murray Hill, and it has a large number of software developers, in number and percentage, in Manhattan, and many - most? - people in our zip code earn in the six figures. I've worked as a software developer for over 15 years, and have occasionally been contacted by Amazon for my skills, although I would not put too much on this as I am always being contacted by recruiters, much of worthless. Although I am likely to benefit from Amazon coming to NYC, I am not a fan of the deal in its current incarnation. It takes too much money from our coffers, circumvents city governance, will place a large burden on existing resources, and will drive up costs for many New York residents. It seems the biggest boosters would be the real estate industry, along with anyone that might be able to profit from selling to the behemoth... h...